In the year 1911, the Calcutta University decided to discontinue the course and examination for the License in Medicine and Surgery (LMS) and the last batch of the students appeared at LMS examination of Calcutta University in 1913 and the said course was discontinued since then.
It was soon realized that there was still room for an intermediary course of medical education for those students who were unable to obtain the standard of MB degree though they have the potentiality and scope to profit by a wider course of medical training higher than that present in certain Government Schools in the state.
With that objective in view, the then Governor General was pleased to establish a separate body, called the State Medical faculty of West Bengal to hold examinations for those students who were unable to obtain the standard of MB course of Calcutta University.
Subsequently, in order to augment the strength of trained Para Medical personnel, the State Government introduced some para medical courses under the control of State Medical Faculty with the responsibility to hold examination and to award Diploma / certificate for those courses as per course curriculum approved by the state government.
The Faculty also enjoys the authority to extend temporary recognition of the Institute(s) for conduction of approved courses. The faculty holds the status of an ‘Examining Authority” in respect of the approved courses.
Statutes and Bye Laws were framed out with the formation of the Faculty in 1914 for monitoring the administrative functioning of the Faculty.
1914 - 1947
Under the aegis of the Faculty, para medical, nursing and midwifery courses viz. Membership Examination of the Medical Faculty (MMF), Licentiate Examnation of the Medical Faculty (LMF), Licentiate Examination in Dental Surgery (LDS), Compundership and Dressership Examination and Nursing and Midwifery Examinations were started in 1914.
The Campbell Medical School, Calcutta Medical School, Calcutta National Medical Institute in Calcutta, Dacca Medical School, Lytton Medical School at Mymensingh, Chittagong Medical School of Chittagong, Ronaldshay Medical School at Burdwan, BS Medical School at Bankura and Jackson Medical School at Jalpaiguri were affiliated to the Faculty for conducting LMF course throughoutr the state of Bengal during pre independence.
LDS course was conducted only at Calcutta Dental School, while the MMF course was run at all the Medical Colleges in Calcutta. With the promulgation of Nurses Act and the creation of Bengal Nursing Council, the responsibility of holding the examination in nursing and midwifery course were switched over to that body in 1936.
The Compounder and Dresser Courses was also upgraded by Diploma in Pharmacy course with the formation of Pharmacy Council of India under Pharmacy Act 1948.
State Government issued a notification inserting article ‘6H’ after article ‘6G’ of the statute if the State Medical Faculty of West Bengal introducing a course named “Cond. M.B. Diploma” course for the candidates already passed under article ‘6F’ and employed as CHSOS at different Health Centers. Later, the nomenclature of the said course was upgraded to Diploma in Condensed Medical Course.
After Independence, according to the decision of the Union Government of India, admission to the LMS course was stopped. Consequently, the LMF course was abolished in 1948 and the MMF course was also discontinued subsequently. Later on, the BDS course was also abolished as the Calcutta University introduced the BDS course. Presently The Faculty conducts online admission examination and counselling for entry into authorized Para Medical Courses in West Bengal and is the affiliation authority to Government and Private Para Medical Schools and Colleges teaching Para Medical Courses.